We are excited to invite you to apply for a special grant to win a Captain Planet Foundation Project Learning Garden™ through a partnership with Harp’s, DOLE® Packaged Foods, and the Captain Planet Foundation.
The competition is open to all elementary (K-5) public and/or charter schools in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri or Oklahoma. Two (2) grand prize winners will be selected.
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED BY September 22, 2017.
Captain Planet Foundation’s (CPF) Project Learning Garden Program offers schools strategies for building effective and long-lasting garden-based learning programs. Gardens provide a context for multidisciplinary learning in subjects across the curriculum. See below for more detailed information on Project Learning Garden. Please complete the following application to the best of your abilities for a chance to win the Project Learning Garden Program for your school!
Click here to download or view the Official Rules.
*See Official Rules for a list of eligible counties in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma.
Project Learning Gardens Program includes:
- Installation of 5 raised beds for veggies and an in-ground pollinator garden
- 6 Lessons per grade level (K-5) aligned to common core standards and the framework for K-12 science education
- Lesson kits filled with all supplies needed to teach lessons (3 per grade level)
- Fully-equipped Mobile Cooking Cart to demonstrate garden-fresh recipes
- Summer garden management program model
- Professional development workshop for up to 6 teachers per school
Students involved in school gardens benefit by:·
- Expanding their palates, taste-testing healthy foods, and learning about food origins
- Engaging in authentic science field investigations
- Manipulating the environment to understand math in real-life applications
- Recreating historical activities
- Writing across all disciplines
Harps Food Stores, Inc. is a 100% Employee owned company based out of Springdale, AR. It was founded in 1903 by Harvard & Floy Harp. Harps currently operates 80 stores in northern and central Arkansas, southern Missouri, and eastern Oklahoma, with 1 upcoming store in eastern Kansas. Harps prides itself on quality products, friendly customer service, and competitive prices. For more information visit harpsfood.com.
Dole Packaged Foods, LLC is a world leader in growing, sourcing, distributing and marketing fruit and healthy snacks. Dole sells a full-line of packaged ambient fruit, frozen fruit, dried fruit, and juices. The company focuses on four pillars of sustainability in all of its operations: water management, carbon footprint, soil conservation and waste reduction. For more information please visit dolesunshine.com or doleintlcsr.com.
Note: Before you are able to submit the application, you will be asked to upload a signed copy of the Project Learning Garden Letter of Agreement as signed by your school’s Principal. Please complete this step before you begin the application.
If you have problems completing this form, please contact Alysa Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org.